Thirty-one members of the State Senate are elected to four-year, overlapping terms. The salary of all members of the Legislature, both senators and representatives, is $7,200 per year and $124 per diem during legislative sessions; mileage allowance at same rate provided by law for state employees. The per diem payment applies during each regular and special session of the Legislature.
Senatorial districts include one or more whole counties and some counties have more than one Senator.
The address of senators is Texas Senate, P.O. Box 12068, Austin 78711-2068; phone (512) 463-0200; Fax: 512-463-0326. On the Web: www.senate.state.tx.us.
President of the Senate: Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst; President Pro Tempore: Mike Jackson; Secretary of the Senate: Patsy Spaw; Sergeant-at-Arms: Rick DeLeon.
State Senate — 83rd Legislature (2013)
District, Member, Party-Residence, Occupation
(19 Republicans, 12 Democrats)
1. Kevin P. Eltife, R-Tyler; businessman.
2. Robert F. Deuell, R-Greenville; family physician.
3. Robert Nichols, R-Jacksonville; engineer.
4. Tommy Williams, R-The Woodlands; businessman.
5. Charles Schwertner, R-Georgetown; surgeon.
6. Sylvia R. Garcia, D-Houston; attorney.
7. Dan Patrick, R-Houston; broadcasting.
8. Ken Paxton, R-McKinney; attorney.
9. Kelly Hancock, R-Fort Worth,businessman.
10. Wendy R. Davis, D-Fort Worth; attorney.
11. Larry Taylor, R-Friendswood; insurance agent.
12. Jane Nelson, R-Flower Mound; businesswoman.
13. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston; attorney, investment banker.
14. Kirk Watson, D-Austin; attorney.
15. John Whitmire, D-Houston; attorney (Dean of the Senate).
16. John J. Carona, R-Dallas; businessman.
17. Joan Huffman, R-Houston; attorney.
18. Glenn Hegar Jr., R-Katy; farmer.
19. Carlos I. Uresti, D-San Antonio; attorney.
20. Juan (Chuy) Hinojosa, D-McAllen; attorney.
21. Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo; communications specialist, former educator.
22. Brian Birdwell, R-Granbury; retired military.
23. Royce West, D-Dallas; attorney.
24. Troy Fraser, R-Horseshoe Bay; businessman.
25. Donna Campbell, R-New Braunfels; physician.
26. Leticia Van de Putte, D-San Antonio; pharmacist.
27. Eddie Lucio Jr., D-Brownsville; advertising executive.
28. Robert Duncan, R-Lubbock; attorney.
29. José R. Rodriguez, D-El Paso; former El Paso County attorney.
30. Craig Estes, R-Wichita Falls; state senator.
31. Kel Seliger, R-Amarillo; business owner.