Church Membership Figures for Texas, 1990, 2000 and 2010
Chart by denomination, based on national survey and local sources. . . . click
- According to the 2010 U.S. Religion Census, Texas ranks:
- First in number of Evangelical Protestants, with 6,457,044.
- First in the number that belong to "non-denominational" Evangelical Protestant churches, with 1,546,542.
- First in the number of Muslims, with 421,972 estimated. New York is second with 392,953 estimated.
- Second, behind Pennsylvania, in number of Mainline Protestants at 1,641,527.
- Second, behind California, in number of Hindus.
- Third in number of Buddhists, with 66,116 — far behind California, which is first with more than 300,000.
- Third in number of Catholics, behind California and New York.
- Fifth in number of Mormons.