Ables Springs

Ables Springs, Texas

Ables Springs, Texas

Ables Springs, Texas Historical Marker Photography on Flicker by Rheba
Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Kaufman County

Ables Springs is on Farm Road 429 ten miles northeast of Terrell in northeastern Kaufman County. It was for many years a center for local religious and school activities. In 1853 James and Eliza Godfrey Ables settled there on land that had been granted in 1848 by the state of Texas to James's father, Ezekiel. In 1878 Mr. and Mrs. Ables deeded to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, 8.75 acres "to be used as a campground or for any other purposes they might desire." On this land were built a tabernacle, a church, and a school, and a portion was set aside for the cemetery. Camping facilities were available. In 1915 a writer made note of the community's "old-fashioned religious camp meetings." Few people actually settled on the spot. In the mid-1980s a Baptist church met where the Methodist church once flourished; a Church of Christ met nearby. The freshwater spring that once flowed is dry today. The school, which many alumni still remember, is now part of the Terrell school system.

Continue Reading

Jack Stoltz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Adopted by: Antonio Maffei
Until: July 29th, 2024

Belongs to

Ables Springs is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Ables Springs is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.81484760
Longitude: -96.12108420

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

20