Addingtonville

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Karnes County

Daileyville, on Escondido Creek eight miles south of Helena in central Karnes County, was founded by the brothers C. P. and David Dailey in 1869. There the road from Wofford's Crossing on the San Antonio River forked, one branch going to Beeville and the other following the west side of the San Antonio River to Goliad. A post office was established at the fork on July 5, 1870. The same year Professor Shives of Goliad built a store and named it Shives Store. For a short while it was operated by J. A. Addington, who called the place Addingtonville. But the name Daileyville prevailed, and by 1884 the community had a population of fifty served by a gristmill and cotton gin. That same year, however, the local post office was discontinued, and its records were moved to Helena. On September 6, 1886, the Butler-Elder feud erupted at the Daileyville store; it eventually resulted in the death of a Karnes County sheriff and several others. The Dailey brothers operated their store there for another year, then moved to Kenedy Junction in 1887.

Continue Reading

Robert H. Thonhoff | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Addingtonville is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Addingtonville is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Daileyville)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No