Adell

Adell is near Farm Road 1885 twelve miles northwest of Weatherford in northwest Parker County. Settlement of the site began in the late 1880s. The first business was a grocery store built and operated by J. R. Fondren in 1889. In 1890 Denton County resident B. B. Barton moved into the area and petitioned for a post office for the community. He reportedly received the suggestion for a name from Alexander Sanger, owner of the Sanger Mercantile Company in Dallas, who wanted the town named in honor of the prettiest girl in Dallas, his daughter Adell. Postal service to Adell began in 1890. At one time the town had three churches, a public school, a cotton gin, a gristmill, and a corn crusher. The population of Adell never exceeded 100. Postal service ended in 1904.

Continue Reading

David Minor | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Adell is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Adell is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Cream)
  • (Dry Creek 2)
  • (Fondren's Store)

Location

Latitude: 32.88456960
Longitude: -97.92225970

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

100