Agua Nueva

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Jim Hogg County

The site of Agua Nueva, thirty-five miles south of Hebbronville on Farm Road 1017 in southeastern Jim Hogg County, was first settled before 1900. It was probably named for the Spanish land grant Agua Nueva de Abajo, which went to Juan Manuel Ramírez, but some sources suggest that it was named for a local spring. Sixto García opened a store there in 1903 and a post office in 1910. In 1915 the estimated population was 200. By 1936 the community had two businesses, a row of dwellings, a school, and a population estimated at ten. Between the mid-1940s and mid-1960s the number of residents fluctuated between forty and fifty; in 1968, 1990, and 2000 it was twenty. In 1988 Agua Nueva had three businesses and a cemetery.

Continue Reading

Alicia A. Garza | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Agua Nueva is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Agua Nueva is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 26.90171680
Longitude: -98.60029760

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

5