Aldridge

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Jasper County

Aldridge was on the Burr's Ferry, Browndell and Chester Railroad, about seventy miles north of Beaumont in extreme northwestern Jasper County. The area's rich forests attracted outside lumber interests by the late nineteenth century, and the Aldridge Lumber Company, with W. H. and F. W. Aldridge as president and vice president, respectively, had begun operations in Jasper County by 1898. In 1905 the firm increased its property holdings in Jasper and Angelina counties substantially with a large purchase from the Vaughan Lumber Company. The Aldridge mill gained a railroad outlet in 1907 via the BFB&C.

On August 26, 1911, fire destroyed the Aldridge sawmill, and company owners went heavily into debt in the process of rebuilding. Although some assistance from the giant Kirby Lumber Company was forthcoming, shipments from Aldridge remained "a disappointment" in 1915. The mill burned again that year, and the post office, opened in 1907, discontinued operations at Aldridge in 1916. With heavy investments in nearby forests, John Henry Kirby remained interested in the Aldridge operations. Indeed, the efforts of the Texas and New Orleans Railroad to extend the old BFB&C line across the Angelina River seemed to spark new life in the region. The Aldridge post office was reopened from 1920 to 1923.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Aldridge is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Aldridge is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Aldredge]

Location

Latitude: 31.03491770
Longitude: -94.28130800

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No