Allenfarm

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Brazos County

Allenfarm is on Farm Road 159 and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad twenty-four miles south of Bryan in southern Brazos County. The area was settled by Stephen F. Austin's second group of colonists between 1821 and 1831. The original grants were issued to Jarrell and Robert H. Millican. The community was named for Robert A. Allen, an area plantation owner. His name however, does not appear on the known land deeds. The post office operated from 1885 until after 1940. In 1902 the town had a three-story depot, two gins, a general store, a commissary, three saloons, and a population of 100. In the 1940s it had two stores, two schools, a church, two factories, and a population of seventy-five. By 1964 the population had fallen to fifteen. In 1970 it was forty. Allenfarm had one business in 1986. Will Terrell, the owner, preserved several of the original local buildings and their contents. In 2000 Allenfarm had a population of thirty.

Continue Reading

Molly Kate McCaughey | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Allenfarm is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Allenfarm is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Alligator)
  • (Ella)

Location

Latitude: 30.39937380
Longitude: -96.24384960

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

35