Altonia was thirteen miles southwest of San Augustine in southwestern San Augustine County. The community was granted a post office named Ransom in 1886, and in 1895 the name was changed to Altonia, supposedly for the site's location on an elevated sandy ridge. By 1914 Altonia had a general store, and in 1933 it comprised a business and twenty-five inhabitants. By the 1940s the community was no longer shown on county highway maps.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Altonia is part of or belongs to the following places:
Altonia is classified as a Town
- (St. Helena)
Has Post Office