Amy

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Delta County

Amy was on the East Fork of Big Creek three miles north of Cooper in central Delta County. The site, located on the A. Askey survey, was settled early in the 1800s. The Amy school opened sometime around 1890; Jim Smith was one of the first instructors. In 1894 Robert Andrew Nicholson began a postal service, and the settlement was officially named Amy, but only after the postal department rejected the name Hobbs. The school was the center of the community. Records for 1904 listed seventy-six students and one teacher. The following year the post office was closed, and the area began to decline. In 1929 the school merged with Mulberry to form Clark School. By 1936 Amy was no longer identified on maps, but in 1939 it reported one business and twenty-five residents. In 1952 the store had closed, but twenty-five residents remained in the area. In 1964 a few scattered dwellings marked the old community site.

Continue Reading

Vista K. McCroskey | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Adopted by: Amy Ivy
Adoption Message: 🫶🏼
Until: June 20th, 2024

Belongs to

Amy is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Amy is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Hobbs)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No