Angleton

Angleton, Texas

Angleton, Texas

Brazoria County Courthouse in Angleton, Texas. Photograph by Adavyd.
Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Brazoria County

Angleton, on State highways 288, 35/227, and the Union Pacific Railroad, was founded in 1890 by Lewis R. Bryan, Sr., and Faustino Kiber near the center of Brazoria County and named for the wife of the general manager of the Velasco Terminal Railway. The founders deeded one-half interest in the original townsite to that railroad in 1892 for $1,000, with the stipulation that the rail line be routed through the town and a depot be built on Front Street, between Mulberry and Myrtle streets. An Angleton post office was established in 1892.

In 1896 Angleton was chosen the new county seat of Brazoria County. The move followed a political battle so bitter that county records were said to have been moved to Angleton at night by citizens who feared they would be destroyed. The controversy resurfaced in 1913, when another election was called to make Brazoria the county seat again. The proposal failed, 1,348 to 1,058. The courthouse built in Angleton in 1897 has been restored for use as a museum. A five-story courthouse was completed in 1940 and a five-story annex added in 1976. In 1989 several smaller buildings were also being used to house county offices.

Continue Reading

Marie Beth Jones | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Angleton is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Angleton is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 29.16844550
Longitude: -95.42796600

Has Post Office

Yes

Is Incorporated

Yes

Population Count, 2020 View more »

19,429