Antioch

Share This Page

Heugh (Hugh), also known as Antioch, was a church and school community three miles north of Grandview in southeastern Johnson County. It formed in the 1870s and had a school by 1875 and a Baptist and a Methodist church by 1884. In 1883 residents successfully petitioned for a post office under the name Heugh; it served the community for seven years. In 1892 Heugh had a population of twenty-five and three businesses. Sometime after the loss of their post office, residents began to call their settlement Antioch. In 1896 the Antioch school had 113 pupils and two teachers, and by 1903 ninety-five pupils and one teacher. Apparently the community did not survive for many years past 1900. The 1976 county highway map showed the Antioch cemetery just off Interstate Highway 35W four or five miles north of Grandview.

Continue Reading

David Minor | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Antioch is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Antioch is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Heugh)

Location

Latitude: 32.31292310
Longitude: -97.19806600

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No