Arney

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Castro County

Arney is twenty-two miles from Dimmitt in the northeast corner of Castro County. The community was named for the Arney family, who settled there in 1901. A post office was established in 1902 at the home of William D. Robinson, who acted as postmaster. Another settler, C. H. Cox, donated five acres of land for a school, which opened in the fall of that year. A Baptist church was organized in 1905. By 1912 the post office had been discontinued. The church disbanded during the early 1930s, and in 1945 the school district was consolidated with that of Dimmitt. Subsequently the school building was turned into a meeting place for the Community Club, which was still active in the 1980s. Arney was still listed as a community in 1990. The schoolhouse received a Texas Historical Marker in 1985. Arney still appeared on county highway maps in 2000, but no population figures were available. The schoolhouse was the only maintained structure and social center in the area.

Continue Reading

H. Allen Anderson | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Arney is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Arney is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Renfro)

Location

Latitude: 34.68728610
Longitude: -102.10296940

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No