Arroyo City

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Cameron County

Arroyo City, also known as Arroyo, is located on Farm Road 2925 a mile east of Farm Road 1847 and ten miles northeast of Rio Hondo in northeastern Cameron County. The area was settled by Mexican herders in the early 1860s and named for its location on the Arroyo Colorado. In 1904 the community had a school with one teacher and twenty-four students. A post office operated in Arroyo City from 1887 to 1907. In 1910 the settlement had two stores and a population estimated at ten. During the 1930s a few scattered houses remained in the area. In 1970 the community had various dwellings and businesses, and in 1990 Arroyo City was still marked on state highway maps.

Continue Reading

Alicia A. Garza | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Arroyo City is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Arroyo City is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 26.33784930
Longitude: -97.43414810

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2014

600