Baldwin

Dunlay, originally called Enterprise and also referred to as Enterprise Station, Interprise, Murray, Baldwin, Harper, and Summit, is on the Southern Pacific Railroad and Highway 90, six miles west of Castroville in Medina County. Enterprise developed on the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway around 1881 during a time of rapid rail expansion west through Medina County. A post office was established there in 1890 with Norval Seymour Murray as postmaster. The community had a population of forty, a general store, a corn mill and gin, and a saloon by 1892. After May 10, 1895, the post office and town were called Dunlay, for Jerry Dunlay, a train conductor. A railroad spur line was laid from Dunlay to the Medina Dam construction site in 1911, and most materials for the dam project passed through Dunlay on this line. By 1914 Dunlay had 100 residents, a lumberyard, a general store, and a cotton gin. The community reported a population of 150 and six businesses by 1965. Its post office closed in 1974. In 1990 Dunlay reported a population of 119 and one business. The population remained the same in 2000 with nine businesses.

Continue Reading

Ruben E. Ochoa | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Baldwin is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Baldwin is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Dunlay)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No