Bannister

Bannister is at the intersection of a country road and State Highway 147 by Bannister Lake, thirteen miles southwest of San Augustine in southwestern San Augustine County. It grew up as a shipping point on the St. Louis Southwestern Railway in the 1890s and was granted a post office in 1914. In 1925 Bannister had fifty inhabitants, and in 1933 it had a business. The post office closed in 1925, the railroad was abandoned in the early 1930s, and by the 1940s Bannister was deserted, though the site was still marked as a triangulation point on state highway maps.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Bannister is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Bannister is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 31.36670700
Longitude: -94.22682200

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No