Share This Page

Barado was located eight miles southeast of Huntsville on what is now Farm Road 2296. The village served the region surrounding Kelly's Switch on the Great Northern Railroad. The switch was located a mile north of the present intersection of Farm Road 2296 and U.S. Highway 75 and served the sawmill operated nearby by John F. Kelly, Jr., and Hervey Kelly. Barado was established in 1893 and had a population of fifteen in 1896. At one time the community had a store and a school. The post office was in operation from 1892 until 1912. In later years a boiler explosion at the mill killed John Kelly, and the mill was closed. By the 1930s nothing remained in the area except the ruins of the old mill.

Continue Reading

James L. Hailey | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Barado is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Barado is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Kelley's)


Latitude: 30.62408580
Longitude: -95.47966470

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated