Bartonville

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Denton County

Bartonville, eight miles south of Denton in south central Denton County, was originally part of the Chinn's Chapel settlement, established in 1853 by Elisha Chinn. Chinn's Chapel eventually became three small communities: Shiloh, Waketon, and Bartonville. Bartonville was settled in 1878 and named for T. Bent Barton. In 1886 a local post office was established. In 1890 Bartonville had twenty-five residents and a general store, a gristmill, and a cotton gin, all owned by the Barton family. By 1896 Bartonville's population was estimated at 100, and the town had three general stores. The post office was discontinued in 1905. In 1933 Bartonville had an estimated population of 300 and one business. In 1966 the population was 380, and in 1990 it was 849, and by 2000 it had grown to 1,093.

Continue Reading

David Minor | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Bartonville is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Bartonville is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Chinn's Chapel)
  • (Double Oak 2)

Location

Latitude: 33.08052280
Longitude: -97.15045900

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

Yes

Population Count, 2020 View more »

1,725