Beauxart Gardens

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Jefferson County

Beauxart Gardens, originally a federal subsistence homestead colony, is between U.S. Highway 69/96/287 and Farm Road 823 six miles southeast of Beaumont in eastern Jefferson County. Once the site of intensive rice farming by residents of Nederland and Viterbo, the area was developed by the federal government during the Great Depression and named for its location between Beaumont and Port Arthur. The town plat was filed in 1934 and approved by the Resettlement Administration the following year. Fifty families were located on the 205-acre tract. The houses, of three to six rooms, also included 3½ acres for each family to cultivate for its own use. Inhabitants worked part-time at nearby refineries and spent the remainder of their working hours on the government truck farm at Beauxart Gardens. A voting precinct was established at Beauxart Gardens on August 10, 1942. The community now lies slightly west of the Jefferson County airport.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Beauxart Gardens is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Beauxart Gardens is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 29.96083300
Longitude: -94.03500000

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2021 View more »

864