Belfalls

Belfalls is at the intersection of Farm roads 935 and 438, nine miles northeast of Temple in northeastern Bell County. Its name is a combination of county names, Bell and Falls. It once had a double voting box, one for Falls County and one for Bell County. A Belfalls post office was opened in 1891, and by 1896 the community had 260 inhabitants, a hotel, a Baptist church, a mill and gin, two general stores, and two "capitalists." The Belfalls school had sixty-nine pupils and two teachers in 1903. In 1907 the post office was discontinued, and mail service was routed through Oenaville. Around 1915 mule power was used to dig the lake that supplies water to Belfalls Water Company. The population of Belfalls had dropped to eighty-four by 1933, but in 1947 the town had six businesses and 200 inhabitants. A second decline followed in the 1950s, and the population fell to fifty in 1964 and twenty in 1988, 1990, and 2000.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Belfalls is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Belfalls is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 31.17323300
Longitude: -97.20361070

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

30