Berg's Mill

Berg's Mill (Mills) was on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway near San Juan Capistrano Mission, eight miles south of downtown San Antonio in southern Bexar County. The settlement grew up around the ruined buildings of the first wool-washing mill in the area. It was named for L. S. Berg, a San Antonio promoter. A post office opened there in 1887, closed in 1890, and reopened in 1892 under the name Hellemans, after a local family. Both names were used for a time, but in later years the original name was preferred. In 1940 Berg's Mill was at the center of the Median Irrigation Project and had a population of 100. With the growth of San Antonio after World War II the community lost its separate character, and by the 1960s it was no longer shown on maps.

Continue Reading

Minnie B. Cameron | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Adopted by: Laura & Cliff Simpson
Adoption Message: On behalf of Clarence C. Simpson to his great grandparents, Arthur Dillon & Jane Neill Dillon, early settlers of Berg's Mill.
Until: March 1st, 2025

Belongs to

Berg's Mill is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Berg's Mill is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Hellemans)


Latitude: 29.33551410
Longitude: -98.45307120

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated