Big Rock

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Van Zandt County

Big Rock, just off Farm Road 1861 thirteen miles southwest of Canton in southwest Van Zandt County, was at or near the site of an undershot water mill built by W. W. Stirman in 1848. A post office operated there from 1856 until 1868. A Black school was in existence by 1890 and had an enrollment of fifty-five in 1904. In the 1930s the community had a school for Blacks and one for Whites, and two churches, a business, and numerous residences. By 1965, however, two churches, and scattered dwellings were all that remained, and by 1984 the churches were gone.

Continue Reading

Diana J. Kleiner | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Big Rock is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Big Rock is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.40680860
Longitude: -95.96246800

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No