Big Square

Big Square is on Farm Road 145 fifteen miles southwest of Dimmitt in southwestern Castro County. It was settled in 1908 by the M. L. Stiles family, who moved to the area from Iowa. The Will Wyler family came the next year. The community had a post office from 1910 to 1920. Stiles built the first schoolhouse, which was replaced in 1920 by a two-room brick structure. A larger school was opened in 1939, and in 1945 the school district was merged with the schools of Springlake and Dimmitt. Big Square acquired its name from the large, two-story houses built by various members of the Stiles family.

Continue Reading

H. Allen Anderson | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Big Square is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Big Square is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 34.38479740
Longitude: -102.46964510

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No