Buckner is on a spur off Farm Road 1189 and on the south side of the Brazos River, fifteen miles southwest of Weatherford in southwestern Parker County. It was originally called Big Valley and later renamed in memory of J. M. Buckner, who drowned with his son in the Brazos. In 1881 a cotton gin-gristmill was established there, and the town became a retail point for area farmers. A post office opened at the community in 1884. By the mid-1890s Buckner had seventy-five residents. Its post office was discontinued in 1919. Buckner was still listed as a community in 1990.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Big Valley is part of or belongs to the following places:
Big Valley is classified as a Town
Has Post Office