Block Creek

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Kendall County

Block Creek was a small community on the east bank of Block Creek and the old Comfort to Fredericksburg road, 2½ miles north of Farm Road 473 and some eight miles northeast of Comfort in western Kendall County. It was settled, in part, by Freethinkers. A post office opened at Block Creek in 1884 and closed in 1895. In 1890 the community had fifteen residents. The Block Creek school had opened by around 1900 and remained the focus of a common school district until 1949, when it became part of the Comfort Independent School District. In 1913 the Fredericksburg and Northern Railway established a flag stop in Block Creek to benefit nearby Hillingdon Ranch. Two or three houses marked the community on county highway maps in the late 1940s, but by the 1980s these were no longer shown on maps of the area.

Continue Reading

Melissa G. Wiedenfeld | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Block Creek is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Block Creek is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 30.03897700
Longitude: -98.83392200

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No