Bluewater

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Polk County

Bluewater is on an unnumbered road south of Farm Road 943 in southwestern Polk County, sixty-five miles north of Houston. The community was presumably named after Blue Branch Creek, which runs through the area. The settlement was started in the late 1890s by settlers including Daniel Rick Bush, Jim Geldard, and E. Dowden. Early residents built a log church and established the Blue Branch school, a cotton gin, a sawmill, and a blacksmith shop. The post office, called Dowden after its first postmaster, was open from 1904 to 1915. A few scattered buildings and residences, including a church and a cemetery, remained in the area in the late 1980s.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Bluewater is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Bluewater is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Dowden)

Location

Latitude: 30.57500600
Longitude: -94.77597700

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No