Tuxedo, just north of the intersection of State Highway 92 and Farm Road 1661, ten miles west of Stamford in northern Jones County, supplies farmers and ranchers along California Creek, which flows west to east three miles south of the community. The settlement was established with the construction of the Texas Central Railroad in 1905 and was called Bonita. A school called Fairview was opened that year. When the railroad arrived in 1907 and the post office was granted, the name was changed on the suggestion of Warren Foster, an early settler. Tuxedo had seventeen businesses by 1911, but in 1912 a fire destroyed all but the gins, lumberyard, and hotel, and the community never recovered its momentum. The school closed in 1947. The population was forty in 1915, fifty-five in 1940, and forty-two in 1980 and through 2000. By 1980 the post office had been closed.

Continue Reading

William R. Hunt | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Bonita is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Bonita is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Tuxedo)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated