Bottom (Bottoms) was six miles north of Temple and six miles southeast of Troy in northeastern Bell County. The community was named for Chatham Bottoms, who arrived in the county in 1888 with his family and settled on Elm Creek. In 1891 Robert Childers gave land for a school and church. The land was deeded to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The first school term was 1894–95. Eventually a grocery store, gin, drugstore, and five churches were located at the community. Bottom had a population of thirty in 1896 and a post office from 1895 to 1901, when its mail was routed through Temple. In 1936 the local school contracted to Troy Independent School District and in 1940 was consolidated with it. Bottom was not shown on the 1948 county highway map.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Bottom is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Bottom is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [-s]


Latitude: 31.16690200
Longitude: -97.26374500

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated