Brazoria Reservoir

Brazoria Reservoir, an off-channel reservoir, is in the Brazos River basin six miles southwest of Angleton in central Brazoria County (at 29°03' N, 95°32' W). The project, owned and operated by Dow Chemical Company, is used for industrial water supply. It was designed by engineers Lockwood and Andrews, constructed by general contractor Gulf Bitulithic, and completed on May 1, 1954. Diversion of water from the Brazos began in April 1954. The storage reservoir has a capacity of 21,970 acre-feet and a surface area of 1,865 acres at a crest elevation of 31.07 feet above mean sea level. The reservoir level is maintained by water pumped from the Brazos River.

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Brazoria Reservoir is part of or belongs to the following places:

Lake Measurements

  • Surface Area (in acres): 1,865
  • Storage Capacity (in acre-feet): 21,970

Lake Maintained or Owned by

Dow Chemical Co.

Date of Origin

1954 (70 years ago)

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Brazoria Reservoir is classified as a Lake

Purpose

  • Industry