Broome

Sugar Hill, also known as Broome, was a farming community off Farm Road 3231 fourteen miles west of Carthage in western Panola County. It was first settled in 1845. A post office opened there in 1850, and by 1885 the community had an estimated population of thirty-five, two churches, a cotton gin, and saw, grist, and shingle mills. A public school known as Broome opened there in 1883 and operated until the early 1930s. The community post office closed in 1904, and local mail was routed through Beckville. By the mid-1930s only a cemetery and a few scattered houses remained in the area. During the early 1990s the site was marked by a cemetery.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Broome is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Broome is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Sugar Hill)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No