Brown's Gin

Pleasant Grove is a farming community in northwestern Lee County two miles southeast of Tanglewood. The town was originally named Brown's Gin after J. J. Brown, who operated a cotton gin and grocery store there in the mid-1870s. In 1883 residents built a Baptist church in a grove of oak trees and adopted the present name. The church building also served as a school; it had an enrollment of fifty in 1898. After the turn of the century a small business center developed a mile west of the church and school. Around 1920 a new two-room schoolhouse was constructed, and it continued to operate until the school was annexed by the Lexington Independent School District after World War II. In 1930 the town had a population of 170, the school, several businesses, and a number of scattered dwellings. By the late 1960s the population had dropped to around fifty. In the early 1980s Pleasant Grove was a dispersed rural community.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Brown's Gin is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Brown's Gin is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Pleasant Grove)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated