Brushy Creek

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Delta County

Post Oak, also known as Brushy Creek and Brushy Mound, is a small farming community in central Delta County four miles northeast of Cooper and four miles south of Lake Creek, between Post Oak and Brushy creeks at Farm Road 890 just east of State Highway 24. Little is known about early settlement, but the area was inhabited by 1850, when locals established Brushy Creek School, one of the oldest schools in the county. Early teachers included Mrs. Middleton, Mrs. Anderson, Clem Ratcliff, and Will Ward. By 1905 the school was called Post Oak. Records for that year listed sixty-eight White pupils and one instructor. The community never had a post office, and the school had closed by 1936, when Post Oak appeared on maps as two businesses and an unidentified collection of dwellings at the intersection of a paved road and dirt thoroughfares. In 1964 it had a few scattered homes, Brushy Creek Cemetery, a small lake, a golf course, and a clubhouse. In 1970 local children attended Cooper Independent School District. Post Oak still appeared on maps in 1984.

Continue Reading

Vista K. McCroskey | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Brushy Creek is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Brushy Creek is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Brushy Mound]
  • (Post Oak)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated