Burkett, on State Highway 206 in northeastern Coleman County, was named in 1886 for its first postmaster, William Burkett. The original name, Pleasant Valley, was rejected by the post office. The first settlers were cowboys of the McClennan ranch, who secured land in the area and established a community around the store H. H. Sackett had moved from Camp Colorado. The town progressed as a trading center for several decades. In 1940 it had three churches, a school, five businesses, and 200 residents. Subsequently, the region's rural population declined sharply. The high school closed in 1957 after consolidation with schools in Coleman and Cross Plains. By the 1980s Burkett had a post office, three churches, a community center, a gas station-grocery, and a well-kept cemetery. Farming, ranching, and oil products sustain the community. In 1980, 1990, and 2000 the population was thirty.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Burkett is part of or belongs to the following places:
Burkett is classified as a Town
- (Pleasant Valley)
Has Post Office
Burkett by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."