Burleson

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Freestone County

Israel, also known as Burleson and Caney, was a church and school community on Farm Road 833 three miles northeast of Kirvin in northwestern Freestone County. The community was named for Israel Traweek, probably an early settler. The Caney Baptist Church was in existence there by 1858, and the community also had two stores, a gin, and a gristmill. The Burleson School was operating in the area by 1891, and by 1893 sixty-five pupils were enrolled. A post office opened in 1897 but closed in 1909. In the 1930s Israel had a church, a school, and a number of scattered dwellings, but by the 1960s only the Caney Church and a few dwellings remained. In the late 1980s the church was still there.

Continue Reading

Chris Cravens | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Burleson is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Burleson is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Israel)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No