Byerly's Gin

Curtis is at the junction of State Highway 63 and Farm Road 777, eighty miles north of Beaumont in central Jasper County. It was known as Byerly's Gin until the mid-1940s, when the Beech Grove post office was moved to the site and renamed after the son of postmaster Adam Byerly. The Jasper-Newton Electric Cooperative maintained a suboffice at Curtis by 1948, when the community's population was estimated to be 150. In 1986 Curtis had several residences, a church, a store, and a small helicopter plant.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Byerly's Gin is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Byerly's Gin is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Curtis)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No