Boggy Creek, a spring-fed perennial stream, rises eight miles southwest of Centerville in southwestern Leon County (at 31°12' N, 96°07' W) and flows east for twenty-three miles to its mouth on the Trinity River, twelve miles east of Leona (at 31°07' N, 95°47' W). Midway down its course the creek forms Hayden Lake. It traverses gently sloping to nearly level terrain surfaced by sandy and loamy soils that along the creek banks support post oak, black hickory, pecan, elm, water oak, and hackberry. The first settlers' building in the county was a two-story blockhouse constructed on the north bank of the upper creek in 1840. The structure, known as Fort Boggy because of the marshy condition of the creek bottom, was intended to protect settlers in the region between the Navasota and Trinity rivers north of the Old San Antonio Road. Since the 1880s Flynn has been located on the south bank of the upper creek. Cairo and Middleton are on the north bank of the lower creek.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Cairo is part of or belongs to the following places:
Cairo is classified as a Town
Has Post Office