Calhoun

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Dallas County

Calhoun, also known as Fisher, was at the intersection of Fisher Road and the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad, six miles northeast of downtown Dallas in northeastern Dallas County. Northwest Highway is to the north, Mockingbird Road is to the south, and White Rock Lake is one mile to the east. The community was on the original land grants of D. A. Murdock to the northeast and D. Murray to the southwest. The area was first settled in 1844 when Tom Fisher built a home in the area, reportedly one of the first houses in Dallas County. Fisher was a rural agricultural community characterized by a number of small farms and was almost certainly named after this early pioneer.

Sometime in the late 1800s Fisher became known as Calhoun. The change of name may have occurred simultaneously with the construction of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad through the community in 1886. However, it is most likely that Calhoun was the name of the post office, which was established in Fisher in 1888 and remained until 1906. In 1890 the community was still called Fisher and had two general stores and a population of twenty-five. By 1900 the settlement was called Calhoun and had a population of fifty, a drugstore, a general store, a banker, and a Baptist church. John Body served as postmaster. By the 1930s the site of the community was in the Dallas city limits.

Continue Reading

Matthew Hayes Nall | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Calhoun is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Calhoun is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Fisher)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No