Call Junction

Call Junction is at the intersection of Farm Road 1004 and U.S. Highway 96, forty-five miles north of Beaumont in extreme east central Jasper County. The area around Call Junction and Call, its sister community in Newton County, was developed by lumberman George Adams, who named the site after business associate Dennis Call. Adams and Call joined M. T. Jones in organizing the Cow Creek Tram Company, which built a sawmill at the Call site in 1895, using the newly constructed Gulf, Beaumont and Kansas City Railway to ship its product. With the subsequent completion of the Orange and Northwestern Railway in 1906, the station on the GB&KC line took the name Call Junction. Both Call and Call Junction depended heavily on the sawmill, which was located in the Jasper County section of Call. Nonetheless, Call Junction had a separate post office from 1908 to 1927. It also was organized as a voting precinct in March 1912. The local mill closed in 1953, but Call Junction still reported fifty residents during the early 1970s. The discovery of oil to the south, at the Call, Call Junction, and Sally Withers fields, with new wells dug between the 1930s and the 1970s, gave the community new economic impetus. In 2000 its population was still reported as fifty.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Adopted by: Lynda
Adoption Message: Y’all keep putting Call Junction on 96 but it’s on the tracks
Until: December 8th, 2024

Belongs to

Call Junction is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Call Junction is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 30.59242660
Longitude: -93.91573590

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

50