Camanche Peak

Acton is on State Highway 4 five miles east of Granbury in Hood County. The site was cleared in 1866, when the area was in Johnson County. Acton is the oldest known settlement in Hood County. As early as 1845 there were reports of surveyors working in the area. Among the first White settlers was Charles Barnard, who built a trading post on the Brazos River in order to trade with the nearby Indians. It was reported that the friendly Caddo Indians in the area assisted in the defense of the settlers against the fierce Comanches. In 1856 the settlement received a post office with the orthographically strange name Camanche Peak.

In 1855 a church building was built for use by Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, and "Reformed Christians"; each group used the structure once a month. That year Aaron Farris erected a water mill at nearby Walnut Creek. The mill became a natural gathering place for the townspeople, so Farris established a type of "exchange store" in his home. The first permanent store was built by Clarence Hollis. The building served the community as a general store, post office, saloon, and blacksmith shop. Soon, teacher William Wright began to conduct the first school in the area. The first local physicians, J. C. Cornelius and S. R. McPherson, arrived in 1855 and 1858, respectively. Construction on the Masonic Hall commenced, and upon its completion in 1868 many new families chose to settle permanently in Acton.

Continue Reading

Kristi Strickland | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Camanche Peak is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Camanche Peak is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Comanche-]
  • (Acton)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No