Camey

Camey Spur (Camey) was on State Highway 121 sixteen miles southeast of Denton in southeastern Denton County. It was established about 1852 and named for Capt. William McKamy. For a time it served as a spur on the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway. A post office operated in Camey Spur from 1913 through 1925. In 1914 the community had a cotton gin, two general stores, and a population of thirty. It had two businesses and a population of forty-seven during the 1930s and 1940s, after which no population statistics were available.

Continue Reading

Brian Hart | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Adopted by: Dennis Magill
Adoption Message: Mother born on cotton farm Camey TX 1923 Wanda Worth
Until: April 11th, 2025

Belongs to

Camey is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Camey is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [-Spur]

Location

Latitude: 33.08345370
Longitude: -96.85611330

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No