Canary

Canary was eighty-five miles north of Houston in west central Polk County. The town, one of a cluster of small communities formed originally by settlers from Louisiana, was part of what nineteenth-century Polk County residents referred to as the Louisiana Settlement. In 1900 the community's residents secured a post office, which they named Canary and housed at Milliard Hilton's store. Allie Faircloth served as postmistress for the rural office. The Canary post office was discontinued in 1914. The community was not shown on the 1984 county highway map.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Canary is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Canary is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Long Bridge)

Location

Latitude: 30.85170100
Longitude: -95.07963100

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No