Caradan

Caradan is nine miles northeast of Goldthwaite in northeastern Mills County. It was established in the 1880s and named for two pioneer settlers, Samuel Losson Caraway and Dan T. Bush. In 1889 the community of fifteen was granted a post office. Development was slow. In 1930 the community had twenty-nine residents and five businesses. In 1950 Caradan had two businesses and seventy-five residents. In 1970 the population had declined to eighteen, and the community still supported one business. In 1974 the post office was discontinued. The population was twenty in 1990 and again in 2000.

Continue Reading

Julius A. Amin | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Caradan is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Caradan is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Lookout)

Location

Latitude: 31.55377030
Longitude: -98.47726370

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

20