Carey is on U.S. Highway 287 eight miles northwest of Childress in Childress County. It was originally named Talulah, after Talulah Collier, who taught the first school there in 1888. A post office was established there in 1896. In 1898, however, the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway renamed the town after Dan Carey, building foreman of the road, whose land claim was nearby. In 1940 Carey had a post office, a school, a cotton gin, three churches, and a general store. The population comprised twenty-five families. In 1980 Carey reported a population of fifty-seven, a rural store, and a post office. In the 1960s its school district was merged with that of Childress. In 1990 and 2000 the population was sixty.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Carey is part of or belongs to the following places:
Carey is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Carey by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."