Carpenter

Carpenter, on Farm Road 1346 eight miles north of Floresville in northern Wilson County, was established in 1893, when the San Antonio and Gulf Railway crossed eastern Wilson County. The settlement, named for a local landowner, had a population of ten in 1900. Joseph Winkler became postmaster when a post office was granted that year and established a cotton gin, a general store, and a saloon in the early 1900s. By 1914 Carpenter had a blacksmith, two general stores, a saloon, a cotton gin, and a reported 100 residents. The post office was discontinued in 1928 and the mail sent to Adkins. In 1947 Carpenter had one store and a population of 100. Subsequently, the population declined, and in the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained.

Continue Reading

Claudia Hazlewood | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Carpenter is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Carpenter is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 29.37829150
Longitude: -98.18473160

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No