Welcome to Carrollton
Next stop, downtown Dallas!
Dallas Area Rapit Transit train passing through Carrollton. Photo by Jeremiah Harper on Unsplash.
Carrollton is on Interstate Highway 35 East fourteen miles north of downtown Dallas in Dallas, Denton, and Collin counties. The site was in the Peters colony grant. The first settlers in the area were William and Mary Larner, who came in 1842. The A. W. Perry family followed two years later and claimed their headright in the Trinity Mills area. In partnership with Wade H. Witt, Perry established a mill there. Over time he acquired extensive landholdings, which probably included the site of Carrollton. Many early settlers were related by blood or marriage. In the northeastern area of settlement, which extended into Denton County, was the English colony, where many of the large landowners, including the Jackson, Furneaux, Morgan, and Rowe families, were English immigrants. It is most likely that the settlement was named for Carrollton, Illinois, the hometown of many of the early settlers.
In the early days Carrollton was an exclusively agricultural community. In 1846 David Myers, from Illinois, established the first Baptist church in Dallas County near the site of present Carrollton. Around 1856 the Union Baptist Church became the site of the first community school. In 1878 an agent for the unfinished Dallas and Wichita rail line filed an early plat of Carrollton at the Dallas County Courthouse. In the same year the Carrollton post office was established. The unfinished railway was bought and extended to Denton in 1880 by Jay Gould, who subsequently sold it to the Missouri, Kansas and Texas in 1881. By 1885 Carrollton had cotton gins, flour mills, a school, and two churches serving its population of 150. When the Cotton Belt line crossed the Katy at Carrollton in 1888 the town developed as a shipping center for livestock, grain, cotton, and cottonseed; it eventually surpassed Trinity Mills, an older settlement to the north. In 1913 the city was incorporated, and W. F. Vinson was elected the first mayor. A gravel industry began in 1912 and grew, so that by the late 1940s Carrollton was a "grain and gravel" town that also supported a dairy industry. A brick plant furnished brick for Dallas. During the postwar era the city worked to attract major industries. National Metal Products, a manufacturer of metal utility cabinets and shelving, established itself there in 1946.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Carrollton is part of or belongs to the following places:
Carrollton is classified as a Town
- City Website (Official Website)
Has Post Office
Carrollton by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."
|133,434||2020||United States Census Bureau|
|141,615||2019||Texas Demographic Center|
|119,907||2010||United States Census Bureau|
|109,576||2000||United States Census Bureau|
|82,169||1990||United States Census Bureau|
|40,591||1980||United States Census Bureau|
|13,855||1970||United States Census Bureau|
|4,242||1960||United States Census Bureau|
|1,610||1950||United States Census Bureau|
|921||1940||United States Census Bureau|
|689||1930||United States Census Bureau|
|573||1920||United States Census Bureau|