Carter was ten miles north of Weatherford in north central Parker County. It was established by Judge W. F. Carter and two partners, T. Parkinson, and H. C. Vardy, in 1866–67. The three men built a flour mill near the banks of Clear Fork Creek and added a cotton gin within a year. A general store, a blacksmith shop, a common school, and a church soon were erected. The community, originally called Cartersville or Carterville, established a statewide reputation for its flour, which was judged the best in Texas at the State Fair of Texas in Houston in 1873. In 1888 the seventy-five residents of the community received a post office branch and adopted the town's present name. Postal service to the community was discontinued in 1907. The population gradually declined, and by the 1920s the town was a memory.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Carter is part of or belongs to the following places:
Carter is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Carter by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."
|1,637||2020||United States Census Bureau|