Casey

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Bell County

Meeks, also called Casey, is a loosely defined rural community thirteen miles east of Temple in eastern Bell County. A post office operated in the community from 1902 to 1906, and two schools for White students served Meeks in the first half of the twentieth century. Casey School, in Meeks proper, had fifty-five pupils in 1903, and Meeks school, a mile north, had fifty-one pupils in 1905. In 1933 Meeks had twenty-five inhabitants and two businesses. By 1949 the community had reached its peak population of forty and had, in two clusters of buildings about a mile apart, the two schools and two businesses. These sites appear to have had separate names, Casey and Meeks, in the mid-1940s. By 1964 maps referred to the entire complex of buildings as Meeks, and the population had dropped to ten. In 1988 through 2000 the population was estimated at fifteen.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Casey is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Casey is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Meeks)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No