Cass

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Cass County

Cass is on the Kansas City Southern Railway and Farm Road 251, eight miles northeast of Atlanta in northeastern Cass County. It was settled in the early 1890s, when the Texarkana and Fort Smith Railway was built through the county. The first post office was established in March 1894 and named Sheffield, but the name was changed to Cass in 1896. At that time the settlement was little more than a country post office and a general store. By 1914 it had two stores, two gins, and a population of 100. In 1925 Cass had a population of twenty, and the post office closed in 1928. In 1964 the population was reported at forty, and the town had no rated businesses. In 1983 Cass had a town hall, a church, two businesses, and a population estimated at fifty. The population was still fifty in 1990, but increased to sixty in 2000.

Continue Reading

Cecil Harper, Jr. | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Cass is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Cass is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Rock Springs)
  • (Sheffield)

Location

Latitude: 33.19512960
Longitude: -94.06324040

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

100