Caton is four miles southwest of Bagwell in southern Red River County. Although settlement in the area began much earlier, apparently a community did not emerge until the mid-1880s. In 1888 a post office was opened for a few months, and the settlement was called Catonville. When the post office was reestablished in 1892 the name was shortened to Caton. In 1896 the community had two churches, a doctor, and a music teacher. The post office was closed in 1905, and by 1984 only a few widely scattered houses and Catonville Cemetery remained.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Caton is part of or belongs to the following places:
Caton is classified as a Town
Has Post Office