Caviness

Caviness is on Farm Road 1499 eight miles from Paris in north central Lamar County. A post office operated there from 1895 until sometime after 1930. The post office was originally to be named Sidney, after early settler Sidney Caviness, but to avoid duplicating another office's name, Caviness was substituted. In 1896 the settlement's population was recorded as fifteen. By 1914 the number of residents had risen to forty, and the community had a cotton gin and two general stores. In the 1930s the town had a population of fifty, a school, a church, a cemetery, a factory, at least one other business, and scattered dwellings on a graded and drained metal surface road. In 1990 Caviness had a population of eighty and a town hall. The population remained the same in 2000.

Continue Reading

Sarah E. Calcote | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Adopted by: Mathieu Caviness
Adoption Message: “Continuing The Caviness Legacy”
Until: June 9th, 2025

Belongs to

Caviness is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Caviness is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 33.75788140
Longitude: -95.61329340

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

90